Saturday, September 10, 2016

Not places in the heart, but a couple of Texas towns new to me

Sadler and Southmayd, both in Grayson County. And, yes, Southmayd is pronounced “Southmade” or “Southmaid.”

The two towns are served by the S&S Consolidated Independent School District. Grades Pre-K through five are in Southmayd. The others are in Sadler.

Southmayd’s 2010 population was 992, representing a 0% change from the 2000 census. Estimated 2015 population was 1,015. Demographics of 2000 show 91% white, 3.2% Native American, 2.7% Latino or Hispanic, and 1.6% African-American. About 7.3% of families were listed as below the Federal poverty line.

Sadler’s 2000 population was 404, a 29% increase over 1990’s figure of 316. By 2010, the population dropped to 343. Estimated 2015 population was 356.

Demographically, the 2010 population was 98.76% white. About 12% of families were below the Federal poverty line.

The Handbook of Texas Online says: “Sadler is on U.S. Highway 82, Farm Road 901, and the tracks of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line, twelve miles northwest of Sherman in west central Grayson County. The area was settled in 1869 by A. J. Cross, who was soon joined by other such pioneers as Zeke Hall and Jim Beach. The community proper developed around 1878, when John Sadler, a local landowner for whom the town was named, donated land for a right-of-way to entice officials of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas to extend the railroad tracks to the settlement. A post office opened in 1892. From the mid-1920s through the mid-1930s Sadler reported a population of 400; seven businesses were there by 1936. In 1956 Sadler reported 185 residents and three businesses, and from the mid-1960s through 1990 it reported a population ranging between roughly 300 and 350. By the mid-1970s the community had incorporated, and in 1990 it had an estimated population of 316. The population reached 404 in 2000.”

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls02

And: “Southmayd is on State Highway 56 seven miles west of Sherman in central Grayson County. It developed when the tracks of the Texas and Pacific Railway crossed land granted to D. S. Southmayd, from whom the community derives its name. The presence of the railroad attracted settlers, and by 1881 the settlement's first business, a general merchandise store, was built, and a post office began operations. From 1904 to 1926 Southmayd had a population reported at 132, which increased to 250 by the mid-1930s. By 1936 it had nine businesses. During the mid-1970s the population fell to 235 and the town had no businesses. In 1989 Southmayd had a population of 348 and two businesses. In 1990 the population was 643. The population increased to 992 in 2000.”

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls66

Pretty much cut and dried, there. Just the facts, Ma’am, just the facts. Joe Friday would have been proud.

Satellite picture shows lots of pasture land, a creek and stock ponds.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6826586,-96.8376634,5043m/data=!3m1!1e3

Typical North Central Texas small town, where on hot summer days cows look for ponds or creeks to stand in and people look for shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment