The population of Hillsdale, Okla., grew by almost 20 percent between the 2000 and 2010 censuses, 19.8 percent federal numbers show.
The town increased from 101 people to 121. Any way you look at it, an increase of almost 20 percent is a good jump.
Hillsdale is in Garfield County, in the western North Central part of the state. Garfield County was named after President James A. Garfield. Before the Great Land Grab of 1893, the area was known as O County and was part of the Cherokee Outlet. As of 2010, the county population was 60,580.
In Hillsdale, 14.3 percent of families and 16 percent of the total population has income below the federal government’s official poverty line, including 20.6 percent of those younger than 18. All of the over-64 population has income higher than the poverty line.
Land in Oklahoma was an easy sale for speculators.
“The Coldwater (Frisco) Townsite Company promoted and in January 1905 platted a new town 3.5 miles southeast of Coldwater and 2 miles southwest of Hillsdale. The first train arrived in February. The company ran an excursion train from Alabama and Georgia, and nearly two thousand town lots were sold on March 23, 1905. Most of 'old' Coldwater's businesses, including the post office, moved to 'new' Coldwater on the railroad, and Hillsdale inhabitants also relocated. After some juggling of the postal designation, the name 'Hillsdale' became permanent after the town incorporated on June 6, 1910. By 1910, 226 people lived in Coldwater/Hillsdale.”
Hillsdale is out there, as shown in satellite imagery.
The nearest towns are Kremlin to the east, Nash to the northwest and Pond Creek to the northeast. All three towns are a ways off from Hillsdale. Kremlin’s population is 255; Nash has 204 residents; and Pond Creek has a whopping 856 residents.
Back in March, Kremlin-Hillsdale High School girls defeated strong favorite Lomega 53-45 for the Class B state basketball championship.