Monday, October 3, 2011

Extermination order

“Headquarters of the Militia, City of Jefferson, Oct. 27, 1838.

“General John B. Clark:

“Sir: Since the order of this morning to you, directing you to cause four hundred mounted men to be raised within your division, I have received by Amos Reese, Esq., of Ray county, and Wiley C. Williams, Esq., one of my aids [sic], information of the most appalling character, which entirely changes the face of things, and places the Mormons in the attitude of an open and avowed defiance of the laws, and of having made war upon the people of this state. Your orders are, therefore, to hasten your operation with all possible speed. The Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the state if necessary for the public peace--their outrages are beyond all description. If you can increase your force, you are authorized to do so to any extent you may consider necessary. I have just issued orders to Maj. Gen. Willock, of Marion county, to raise five hundred men, and to march them to the northern part of Daviess, and there unite with Gen. Doniphan, of Clay, who has been ordered with five hundred men to proceed to the same point for the purpose of intercepting the retreat of the Mormons to the north. They have been directed to communicate with you by express, you can also communicate with them if you find it necessary. Instead therefore of proceeding as at first directed to reinstate the citizens of Daviess in their homes, you will proceed immediately to Richmond and then operate against the Mormons. Brig. Gen. Parks of Ray, has been ordered to have four hundred of his brigade in readiness to join you at Richmond. The whole force will be placed under your command.

“I am very respectfully, your ob't serv't,

“L. W. Boggs, Commander-in-Chief”

Missouri Executive Order 44, issued by Gov. Lilburn Boggs.

On May 6, 1842, “Boggs was shot by an unknown party who fired at him through a window as he read a newspaper in his study. Boggs was hit by large buckshot in four places: two balls were lodged in his skull, another lodged in his neck, and a fourth entered his throat, whereupon Boggs swallowed it. Boggs was severely injured. Several doctors—Boggs' brother among them—pronounced Boggs as good as dead; at least one newspaper ran an obituary. To everyone's great surprise, Boggs not only survived, but gradually improved.” (Wikipedia article on Boggs.)

Mormon gunman Orrin Porter Rockwell was believed to have shot Boggs, but Rockwell stated he “never shot at anybody, if I shoot they get shot!... He's still alive, ain't he?"

Rockwell is also reported to have said, “I never shot anybody who didn’t need shooting.” Really. Honest. Before T.A. Edison even thought about picture shows and The Great Train Robbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment